Saturday, October 20, 2012

Overwhelmed with possibilities

There's lots of old sayings like "trying too hard", "can't see the wood for the tree's" and so on, and they all applied to me when I was studying my C&G.  I tried so hard to see things that I often couldn't see what was right in front of me.  When studying one module at a time I concentrated only on the requirements of that particular module, such as "line" - I only looked for line, then in "shape" I only looked for shape - now I can look for anything at any time and its amazing how much is all around me on a daily basis.  We're currently building a new house and the design possibilities that its thrown up are amazing, and I decided to share some of them with you.

Look at the wonderful rust around the holes in this steel.
 Even scaffolding parts offer wonderful pattern and shapes.
Lengths of steel coded by colour give great uniformity and grid ideas 
Stacked steel frames create crazy line patterns
Threaded squares of steel - some in line with each other, others spun to give angles
And this is one of my favourites - like a crazy wire flower - I think its a buffing head for smoothing steel (I've no idea, but I know hubby uses it a lot, lol!)
And who'd think that a welding machine would have such a lovely daisy design on it
Even welding slag dropped onto steel frames, rusted over time gives amazing design possibilities, all crusty and orange - can't wait to have a go to reproduce this one!
If you're working on grid designs - a side view of the steel frames gives a lovely increasing and decreasing zig zag design
And lets not forget the humble safety cone - even this has great shapes and patterns, negative and positive.
All I need now is the time to put these design sources to good use.  Let me know if any of you use these as starting points for your own creativity - I'd love to see what develops from them.


10 comments:

  1. It's funny how we're attracted to rust and warty things isn't it? I think it could be the sudden shock of colour like with verdigris too. Some lovely patterns spotted there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photos, and I'm so glad that you're using your C&G study to inform your inspiration, I've done a lot of thinking just in 1 module at a time but now I'm on the last one things are beginning to pull together. Can't wait to finish so I can do my own thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your last module Sharon. Its amazing what your brain absorbs doing a course like C&G and also that it remains in the brain afterwards. I look at everything differently now and see possibilities everywhere.

      Delete
  3. I never imagined any of those items could be so beautiful. How free you must now feel to be inspired by anything around you!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both!! If someone had told me a few years ago that I could get design ideas from a building site, I'd have laughed. I just need to get the house built so I have time to put the designs to good use.

      Delete
  4. Wow you are so right, such wonderful shapes and lines all around you. What a brilliant starting point, I can't wait to see your designs from these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might take a while yet, but my brains churning over all the possibilities. I don't think hubbys too keen to have a welding plant with a daisy design on it now I pointed it out to him, lol !!

      Delete
  5. It is amazing just what you can see when you look with 'different' eyes. I love the crazy flower too! Suzy (new follower) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I like the sunflowers. By that I mean the rusty holes and the spinning drill thingy bit....can't you see how technical I am. You have to let the scales drop from your eyes before you can truly see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great inspiration photos - a positive side to the disruption of a building site!
    Love your felt pieces too.

    ReplyDelete