Saturday, May 23, 2009

Module 1 - City and Guilds

I was very excited about starting my studying with City and Guilds .... until the first 3 modules arrived, then panic set in! It was a bit daunting and not unlike jumping off the high diving board with your eyes shut and nose blocked, but slowly I relaxed to it. Its been many, in fact, too many, years since I was a student, but it does blow away the cobwebs and kick starts your brain again, and now I love it. Here are some pics from my first module, which was "Line". The first two pics are from my design work ... I chose a capsicum for my primary source (after disecting and attempting to draw most of the fruit and vegies in my fridge!!!!)

This sample was created using only 3 stitches : lazy daisy, raised stem band and french knots. It's a raised piece of embroidery and depicts a branch from a large tree speckled with moss

Another sample was created using composite stitches, inspired by a garden trellis and climbing plants.
Previously I'd only ever done traditional embroidery following charts and designs, so the instruction to do an "experimental" piece filled me with terror and led to many days of chocolate and wine (not at the same time, I might add) to give me the courage to have a go. Here's my finished piece, which I was quite pleased with in the end, maybe I didn't need the chocolate and wine after all .... oh! who am I kidding, everyone needs chocolate and wine.

And finally here's a sample page from my "Threads and Materials" file, listing all materials used for the samples. Once I got my feedback from my tutor, I finally relaxed and looked forward to the next module. I think the first steps in Mod 1 are always daunting for a distance learning student, because you just don't know if you're on the right track or not. It really makes you think outside the box, and sometimes you crave inspiration from other students, but in the same token, being on your own makes your work individual and true to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that blue experimental opice and amd fascinated by the backgroudn - is it a abaca tissue? Angelina type fibres? What?! And why can't you have chocolate and wine at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen. The blue background is sizoflor which melts really well with a heat gun, then I added "bits" of angelina fibres around it. Basically I had a go at everything on this sample, as it was my first experimental piece.

    ReplyDelete